Let's Talk About Sex ...

Happy Monday! Hope you all had a lovely weekend, and are looking forward to the week ahead.

Today, I want to talk about sex ... 

No, I'm not trying to start a Salt-n-Pepa reunion, I'd like some recommendations, please.

I've got to the part in my WiP where my couple have sex for the first time. I've always had this scene in mind, but when I was planning the story, in my head the scene was going to be erotica.

Now I've actually come to write that, I realize it won't work with the tone of the story. I'm not sure if there will even be a need to mention exact body parts or details.

What's important will be the feelings. The scene comes at a pivotal moment, where they've both quite vulnerable, and stripped of any bravado etc.  

I've not written a love scene with this type of tone before - the ones I've written in the past have been more graphic - so I'm going to have to do some research.

Only, I don't know where to start. So, I'm throwing it open to you guys.

Give you your recommendations for the best sex scenes in novels, where the focus is on the emotional connection, more than the descriptions of the deed. 

They can be from your own novels, or ones that you've read that really jumped out at you.

Thanks in advance for the help, and have a great week! 

11 comments:

  1. If I Let You Go by Kyra Lennon :p LOL, I don't know if that entirely fits the bill, but it's less filth and more about feelings.

    Might also be worth trying Brutal by K.S Adkins. It's not exactly gentle, it's a really rough, gritty book, but you might find something in those sex scenes that would help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks for the recommendation, honey. There's another one of yours I was going to check out, too.

      I'll also check out Brutal by K.S Adkins.

      Delete
  2. I'd have to pick from The Serendipitous Curse - Reviled: Book Two, the first scene in which Solomon and Desire make love. It's been roughly a 150 year wait for him, and that was back when he took what he wanted. Now he doesn't feel worthy, but Desiree stirs desires in him he's never felt before like - love. This sexy but highly emotionally charged scene begins in the shower and ends on the bed. :) Good luck with yours, Clare. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great scene, Lisa. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be sure to check it out.

      And thanks for the good luck wishes. :D

      Delete
  3. Sorry, I'm not much help. I barely managed a kissing scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm usually okay with romantic scenes, but this one has me stumped.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm, you'd think with the amount of sex I read in my books that I could name one to fit your particular tone! Ha! Most paranormals are usually intense, dark, and gritty even with the sex scenes. Christine Feehan's are all really kind of the same, but it might work. I wish I could be of more help, but all that supernatural sex just sort of blurs together. And it's Monday. I'm blaming it on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Monday woes! Hope you had a good weekend, and thanks for the recommendation, I'll be sure to check out Christine Feehan!

      Delete
  5. Sadly my mind is blank right now. Hope the other comments have better ideas and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to write the graphic scene first and then tone it down from there. Take out the action verbs of what they do to each other and describe how the same action makes him/her feel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this entry, and comment. I really appreciate it.