WIP Joy: Days One and Two

Happy New Year, people of the blogosphere! I hope everyone's 2017 gets off to an awesome start, and that the year ahead is a good one for you.

While on Instagram this morning, I discovered the WIP Joy Challenge on the Instagram of Bethany A. Jennings (found via a share from Adam.C.Macdonald).

It looks like a fun challenge, that I want to take part in. Though rather than do it on Instagram, as I've just completed a challenge there, I felt like my blog deserved a little lover - it's been too long since I posted here properly!

So, for the month of January, I'll be taking part in the WIP Joy Challenge!


As it's already January 2nd, I'm playing catch-up a little here, so today you get two posts for the price of one. Enjoy!


1. Introduce your WIP

My WIP is the novel I started for NaNoWriMo (third time's a charm!), and is a contemporary age-gap romance. Here's the blurb:

Jade Landon’s life is exactly where she wants it to be at twenty-five. She’s just been promoted to assistant makeup artist for one of the UK’s biggest TV networks, she has a great group of friends, and her whole future ahead of her.

Until ageing rockstar turned TV presenter Seth Marshall walks into her life. Despite being twenty-five years her senior, Jade and Seth hit it off instantly, and soon the whole network is buzzing about the two employees.

But a curveball arrives in the form of Seth’s estranged wife and former Page Three model Tessa, and their teenage daughter Alexa. Even though their marriage is dead and buried, Tessa still wants to make life difficult for Seth, and Alexa is more than happy to play her part, especially as she doesn’t like that her father’s new girlfriend is only ten years older than she is.

When Jade’s parents weigh in on the matter, and insist that due to his baggage, Seth will hurt her one way or another, it starts to feel like the whole world is against them. Jade’s left wondering if they can make a go of a relationship that’s only just started. Or if it’s best to give up on the budding romance before either of them get in too deep.

The only problem is, she’s already in too deep and has fallen for Seth.

2. Why does Your Protagonist Pull At Your Heart Strings? 

I really love Jade's mix of confidence and vulnerability in this story. She's far more outgoing than I am in real-life, and writing that sort of character is a lot of fun. But when things start to get difficult in her relationship with Seth, she shows the same vulnerability and insecurities I can relate to. She's drawn to this man, who is so much older than she is, and she begins to questions if it's worth all the heartache. She wonders even if it IS worth the pain, will they last or will he eventually go back to his wife? It's a lot for someone of twenty-five to take on, but I think (I hope) she handles it with grace and maturity.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this entry, and comment. I really appreciate it.