R is for Ruby


Thanks to everyone who stopped by and visited my Q is for Questions post yesterday.

Today, for the letter  R I have a scene from an upcoming chapter, where Megan meets Kian's former fling/ turned stalker, Ruby.


I headed along the corridor to Kian’s room, pausing when I heard a female voice; assuming it was his sister. 

Standing outside his door was a tall redhead, chatting on her phone, her long hair dyed the color of a pillar box.

She abruptly ended the call when she saw me, her eyes narrowing.

“Hey,” I said. If it was Kian’s sister, I wanted to make a good first impression.

Her eyes focused on my baby bump. “Who are you?”

“I’m Megan.” When my name failed to gain a response, I added. “The mother of Kian’s baby.”

Her glossy lips formed a thin line, and she shook her head. “Kian isn’t having a baby. He would have told me.” 

Okay, not his sister. I knew he’d told her and his parents. Then who the hell was she? 

She was tall, about Kian’s height, and dressed in expensive looking clothes. Her heels would have made Stacey envious. Her makeup was heavier than I’d wear during the day, her dark eyebrows drawing together as she regarded me. Her figure was slim and toned, the type of body I’d have loved before I got pregnant. Compared to her, with perky boobs and an apple shaped butt, I felt like a beached whale. 

I wanted to disappear, to fade into the wall, but she was still staring at me, her penciled brow arched.

“I’d know, I’m with him all the time,” she said, a sneer forming on her lips.

I didn’t like the way she was looking at me, like I was something she’d scraped off her shoe, and I didn’t miss the implication of her statement that she was with Kian all the time. Her arrogance bolstered my confidence. No one spoke to me like that.

“Yeah? Well I’m the one who’s pregnant. Maybe he just didn’t think you were important enough to tell.”

Her eyes widened, and she opened her mouth to respond, but I didn’t give her a chance, instead pushing passed and entering Kian’s room.

“Who’s the strange redhead in the corridor?” I asked, crossing the room and taking a seat beside his bed.

Kian groaned and sat up. “Ruby, my stalker. I’ll have a nurse in to get rid of her.”

Kian pushed the call button, and a few moments later, the nurse I’d passed in reception came in.

“Everything okay?” she asked.

“Yeah, apart from the unwelcome visitor. Was there a redhead outside my room?”

“You mean that girl from earlier? She’s gone to get a coffee, I think. Why, is she bothering you?”

“Yeah, I don’t want her in here again. Will you tell hospital security to throw her out?”

“Will do, Mr Murphy. Is there anything else I can get for you while I’m here?”

“No, thanks.”

With a nod, the nurse left Kian’s room.

I turned to him, a million questions on my lips. “You have a stalker?”


Thanks for reading. If you're interested in reading All It Takes, it can be found at claredugmore.com

And for anyone interested in an A-Z Challenge based on the literary world, with writing, marketing and publishing tips etc. head on over to Curiosity Quills Press. Today I'm blogging about reviews, and their importance to authors and publishers! 

Don't forget to check back tomorrow for S is for Stacey - character profile for Megan's BFF!

Until next time,



4 comments:

  1. Oh how I am loving how this story is unfolding. Great job with the picture - I can totally see her as a stalker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen. She is quite troublesome ...

      Delete
  2. He's in the hospital, soon to be a father, and has a stalker. He's not having a good life at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this entry, and comment. I really appreciate it.