A Break From Your Regularly Scheduled Blogging

I'm taking a quick break to "squee" over something briefly.

Today, I was watching this trailer for the new Bethesda published/ Arkane Studios developed dystopia steampunk-inspired video game (it looks awesome, btw, but that isn't the point of this post).

I was discussing with the hubby how the mechs/ robots in the trailer scared me, and how I think I've got a fear of machinery (I can't stand going in the Dwemer ruins in Skyrim).

Then BAM out of the blue I'm hit with a story idea. I jotted it all down quickly, and while cooking the dinner, Hubby and I discussed it in more detail so that I've now got a vague plot, back story and opening. I even have a protagonist ... Hen!

I can't wait to get started ... but I've got to hold myself back a little. Firstly, there's Sibylline Nights I have to finish editing. Secondly, this new story will take a lot of world-building, and I feel like I didn't do that well enough for Destiny's Road and that's why the story fell apart.

Right now, I'm thinking I'm going to spend the next six to eight months planning and plotting, and then my new story will be my NaNoWriMo 2012 novel.

Of course that means all the other stories on my "works" page will have to go on the back-burner, but that's okay because I wasn't one hundred percent committed to any of them yet. They're still vague, intangible ideas, where as this new ideas already seems to be bursting from me.

I cannot wait ...


10 comments:

  1. See? Who says computer games don't inspire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I think I've got inspiration for most of my novels from video games. Is that a hint I play too many?!

      Delete
  2. That's great! It's nice to get a nano idea this time of year so you do have time to plot and plan. Best of luck with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a weird feeling though, as this is the first time I will have had so much time to plot. Usually it's only a month or two before!

      Delete
  3. I feel like a total dweeb but I'm honest so I have to admit I've got no clue what Nano is. But I am very happy about your new inspiration/story idea. I love when it just knocks you over the head and hits you like that. Good luck Clare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I should have been more specific. NaNoWrimo is an abbreviation for National Novel Writing Month. The aim is, for the duration of November, to write the first 50k words of a novel.

      I've done it for the past two years, and found it really helps me get my ideas down.

      Thanks for the encouragement, it's greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  4. I got an idea for a new story just last week and it came fully formed. I put everything else I was writing to focus on this, because I believe this is "THE ONE". I'm so excited for you 'cause I know the feeling.

    Twinsies. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL

      It's so funny to me, because just the week before I was questioning what would my next project be once I'm done editing my current WiP.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this entry, and comment. I really appreciate it.